... that so many folks in Appy are against any new additions to their high school? Ponish mentioned this in his presentation to the school board, and it was mentioned in the Coalfield as well.
... that so many folks in Appy are against any new additions to their high school? Ponish mentioned this in his presentation to the school board, and it was mentioned in the Coalfield as well.
If those additions include air conditioning, they better get a clue. As an alumni of Appy, I've had to sit in that hotbox of a school during those sweltering days leading up to summer break.
[img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]
[img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]
You'll shoot your eye out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]
lol! Seriously, though, I was curious as to why they would object to new additions. Makes no sense to me.
new additions means more money and more money means the less likelihood that the board of supervisors and the people of wise county will approve costly renovations to old buildings in lieu of consolidation. st. paul is the same way, they don't want any money spent on their school either.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: six4three</div><div class="ubbcode-body">new additions means more money and more money means the less likelihood that the board of supervisors and the people of wise county will approve costly renovations to old buildings in lieu of consolidation. st. paul is the same way, they don't want any money spent on their school either. </div></div>
Good point. Makes sense to me - drastic times call for drastic measures, I guess.
Really though, I dont understand it either.
I don't understand why the students should have to settle in their educational opportunities.
Just because the education available was good eough 50 years ago doesn't mean it's good enough now. We're sending such a small percentage of our students to college, and a portion of those never complete it.
There are so many excuses and attempts at explaining why what they have is good enough now. But why does no one want better things for the students? I personally would love to be able to say "our school system is up to date top of the line. Our students have the same opportunites as other VA students now."
They think that saving the high school will save the town. I'm sure many will pipe up with that concept.
You'll shoot your eye out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elp6n</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I personally would love to be able to say "our school system is up to date top of the line. Our students have the same opportunites as other VA students now." </div></div>
I agree. One of the SB members stated the other night that Wise Co. offers plenty of electives, and that basically adding more opportunities (labs, classrooms, etc.) for electives shouldn't even be part of the equation. Don't you love progressive thought?!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elp6n</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
They think that saving the high school will save the town. I'm sure many will pipe up with that concept. </div></div>
What is there left to save? Appalachia and St.Paul are both ghost towns. Their real estate value is terrible and there are very few people who would want to move into those towns. With or without those high schools the towns will still continue to lose people who choose to move out of there.
The test is simple, if "your" team wins a national championship, do you get a championship ring? If the answer is yes, then you can say "we." If not, you can't.
I know that, and you know that, but apparently Denial is a great state to live in.
You'll shoot your eye out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]
Bookmarks